Find a Physiotherapist to visit you at home
Understanding Neurological Physiotherapy
Neurological physiotherapy is the treatment of patients who have a neurological disorder. Neurological disorders are those affecting the brain, spinal cord and nerves.
People with neurological conditions may have difficulties with their physical functions include mobility, muscle strength, balancing and range of movements. Neurological Physiotherapy aims to increase the quality of life of people with neurological conditions through physical means. Every person with a neurological condition presents differently. Treatment will be focused on your condition and symptoms.
Neurological Physiotherapy at home helps
What Conditions Does
Neurological Rehabilitation Treat?
Our team of highly trained specialist physiotherapists are experts in treating patients with many neurological conditions including
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Head Injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Cerebral palsy
- Foot drop and walking problem
- Post-polio syndrome
- Respiratory conditions
How it Works?
Neurological physiotherapy should commence as soon as possible following injury for the best possible recovery.
Our experts use a combination of different physiotherapy principles to provide the most beneficial treatment for our patients. These include the normal movement, motor relearning and synergistic functional rehabilitation. The treatment approach used varies depending on the individual, their symptoms and goals.
Physiotherapy Treatment Will Help
- Retrain normal patterns of movement
- Improve ability with everyday activities
- Increase muscle power
- Increase range of movement
- Improve fine motor skills
- Improve posture
- Increase balance
- Lengthen tight muscles to help decrease spasticity and reduce contractures
- Increase fitness levels and endurance
- Help problems with breathing
- Reduce risk of chest infections
- Reduce risk of falling
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Relieve pain
- Increase independence
- Achieve maximum potential
- Make movements easier to achieve that are precise and goal directed
Neurological problem may affect different areas of your body. Common areas which can be enhanced through our treatment includes:
- Improving walking
- Improving arm and hand function
- Reducing post-stroke shoulder pain from shoulder instability or weakness
- Enhancing mobility by addressing any foot dragging
- Reducing spasticity in limbs and muscles
- Addressing weak and spastic muscles
- Stretching activities to maintain muscle and tendon length and reduce or keep muscle spasms/spasticity to a minimum.
- Flexibility and strengthening exercises for the whole body.
- Breathing exercises to maximize lung function and prevent chest infection.
- Balance and posture exercises which can help to reduce pain associated with poor posture and balance impairment.
- Functional activities to improve fundamental movement patterns such as rolling over and sitting up, and standing where appropriate.
- Walking re-education, if there is sufficient muscle activity and power in the legs.
- Improve quality of life
Physiotherapy Treatment Will Vary Depending On Your Condition.
Our motivated physiotherapists at we care therapist will help you achieve your maximum potential, your independence and optimize the quality of your life.
Physiotherapy treatment will vary depending on your condition. Treatment will be specific to you and will focus on your needs. Physiotherapy treatment will increase your ability with everyday tasks and promote the functional activities that you value the most. This may include walking, climbing the stairs, shopping, gardening or simply being able to roll over and change position in bed, or transfer with assistance to your bed.
- An initial assessment will identify any problems caused by your neurological condition and a treatment plan will be developed suited to your needs.
- A structured rehabilitation programme will be developed including short and long-term treatment goals will be set between you and your physiotherapist. Neurological physiotherapy treatment can be carried out at your home.
- At www.wecaretherapist.com we also work closely with podiatrists and occupational therapist who can provide additional treatment and equipment if necessary.
For more information about neurological physiotherapy or to book an assessment please call we care therapist today on 09711553900, to speak to one of our specialist neurological physiotherapists. You can also make appointment online today.